Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Abigail Adams

When I was a wee little flower, my favorite games were pretend.


Lets pretend I'm Cinderella!


Lets pretend I have a sister!


Lets pretend I am on a safari!


Lets pretend my doll is my sister!


Lets pretend I'm a pilgrim!


Lets pretend my doll is in a one room school house and I'm the teacher!


Lets pretend my room is a house in Williamsburg, Virginia, and I am under a pile of blankets because I am hiding from the British!


And the list goes on...


and on...


and on.


I played dress up and pretend well into fifth grade. It was creative, so it was where I was comfortable. As you can see, the kinds of games I played varied as I got older.


I think that is the key to playing pretend. It is easy to imagine anything that you love. I loved my American Girl Books, and as a result, some of my pretend was from history.


History can seem like a really boring concept to a little girl...especially because it seems like it is full of boys!!! It isn't like fairy tales , with the fancy dresses, and the glitter magic, where the good people live happily ever after..or is it?


I think that the real women in history can be just as exciting, and have just as glamours stories, it just depends on how you look at it.


When you find out a ball gown from the 1700s


 looks as good as Belle's dress,




 Abigail Adams becomes much more interesting...


Who is Abigail Adams you may ask?


Abigail Adams was the wife of John Adams. They had one of the first modern relationships between a man and a woman. They wrote letters back and fourth, in which she gave him some very good advice about writing the Constitution. In one of her letters she wrote, “Remember that all men would be tyrants if they could. If particular care and attention is not paid to the ladies we are determined to foment a rebellion and will not hold ourselves bound by any laws in which we have no voice, or representation.” Do you realize what this means? This means that Abigail Adams actually predicted the Women’s right’s movement. But not only that, she also predicted the way it would be done. “But you must remember that arbitrary power is like most other things which are very hard, very liable to be broken; not with standing all your wise laws and maxims, we have it in our power not only to free ourselves but to subdue our masters, and without violence, throw both your natural and legal authority at our feet.” Unfortunately, this advice was not used it the Constitution. But, isn’t it crazy that 144 years before women received the right to vote that someone actually predict it?


This may not be exactly the kind of story that captivates your five year old princess, but it may inspire a nine or ten year old princess. And isn't that the purpose of a fairy tale, to inspire? 


Lots of Love,




Rapunzel


P.S. Need a project to go with the story? Here are some really cool Colonial Coloring Pages, enjoy!


P.P.S. What does a colonial ball gown have to do with Abigail Adams, well not only did she write brilliant letters, but she also attended parties , and well, balls!

No comments:

Post a Comment